Thursday 6 May 2010

Blessed With Less

Wednesday 14th April 2010, 2.45pm, Robinson Crusoe Island - Fiji

There's only so many ways I can tell you about a beach, and having calculated earlier today that the one I now occupy is the 24th beach of my travels, I am at real risk of repeating myself. You all know what a beach looks like, well at least you think you know what a beach looks like, that is, until you come to Fiji. We got to Fiji on Monday afternoon, but only properly arrived yesterday when we caught a boat over to Robinson Crusoe Island. It's basic, extremely basic. We're sleeping on wooden bunk beds under moth eaten mosquito nets in a 40 bed dorm, it's a culture of outdoor living, only the bedrooms come with a roof. Sand miraculously works it's way into everything, and seems to inhabit every part of your body and possessions from the moment you step on the island. People don't wear clothes, only swimwear feels appropriate and definitely not with shoes - even battered old flip flops feel too formal here.

You have to carry a torch around with you at night so as not to flatten any of the hermit crabs or cane toads who sit on the dirt paths seemingly waiting to be squashed. Plus, sea snakes come up the beach at night, and you really don't want to be treading on one of those slippery buggars, they're one of the most venomous creatures on earth, one bite and you'd pretty soon be on your way to a great big Fiji in the sky. I saw 4 last night, and screamed every time. The local speciality beverage is Kava, made from pulped plant roots soaked in urns of water. It is drunk cross legged on the floor from wooden bowls, looks and tastes like dirty dishwater, and gives my mouth pins and needles. I have yet to discover the true "herbal properties" of Kava, but from the way my lips went numb I'm guessing it's not an altogether innocent substance. All the hot food is cooked in an underground pit, heated by burning coconut husks.

To take a shower here you must fill a tin bucket with water from the well, detach a watering can from the wall on the shower block, fill up watering can with well water, hoist watering can to appropriate height using a pulley and lever system, turn a tap to open up the flow, and hope that you've got enough time to shampoo and shave your legs before the can empties without you having to run to the water source and start the whole process again whilst covered in suds and wrapped in a towel. I don't think I'll be showering often, too much like hard work in my opinion. But I love all this, this return to simple living, this provision of basic needs in return for an island home in the Pacific Ocean.

It takes 20 minutes to walk round the whole island, it looks like a circular sandy birthday cake with palm trees clustered as the swaying candles in the centre, the icing on said cake being the turquoise sea crowded with coral and reef life. There are a multitude of incredibly friendly staff here who have our names learnt by heart, and besides them, only 4 tourists (including Ella and I) are staying on this island. It is utopic, solitudinal, stranded in paradise beach heaven. Hammocks hang from the trees, a sea breeze blows refreshingly through 35 degree unclouded sunshine, coconut oil massages are on offer 12 hours of the day. Fish is line caught from wooden boats and cooked for you the same night, orchids and frangipanis in salmon pink and scarlet are left on your pillow, cocktails on the tab are pineapple and rum and banana liqueur and taste like the tropics... drinking at lunchtime is perfectly acceptable. Fijian men sit under the trees with their guitars and sing Van Morrison and Al Green melodies with voices like milk and honey, my sarong and my book sit on the flat, white sand and beckon me, and I am powerless to resist them much longer.

We knew nothing about Fiji before we got here, it was typical Grace and Ella "we'll sort something out when we get there" behaviour. Still in truth we know very little other than that it looks like somewhere I might want to go for eternity when I die. We have been handed advice by a few locals who say that to see the Real Fiji you have to go to the islands in the Mamanuca and Yasawa groups out from the West Coast of the mainland. Apparently, once you've seen one island, you've pretty much seen them all, and so we heeded that advice, swiftly left the airport town of Nadi around Tuesday lunchtime, and crossed the water. We're going to spend the next few weeks making temporary homes for ourselves on a few different beaches, taking time to unpack and unwind and enjoy these last days in each others' company. I can't see the unwinding part being a problem for us, we adapt pretty comfortably to beach living these days. I already look like an Asian Stig of the Dump, and earlier on I caught Ella wandering around in a homemade grass skirt and coconut bra like it was the most normal thing in the world. I promise I will try and keep up my writing whilst here, but you know how it is, the less you do, the less you can do. And here my friends, less is most certainly more.

No comments:

Post a Comment